Friday, April 17, 2015

Why God Doesn't Always Heal

Hi everyone, sorry for the lack of updates on my part.  I just am not quite sure what to post at the moment.  Life continues, and the world spins madly on.  Praise God that the King is still in control.

I had a check-in with my oncologist, and we chatted about how I'm doing with the treatment.  I feel very fortunate not to be experiencing any side effects from the treatment, but my doctor reminded me that things will probably get more noticeable over the next rounds of treatment.  We won't know for a few months if the cancer is responding to the treatment.  At minimum, I'll be on the same regiment for the next couple of months.  If the cancer doesn't seem to be responding as well as we hope, we'll switch up the regiment.

And so, I'm back to adjusting to this new life.  Pills every morning and night (with tons of pills on Fridays), a blood test every Thursday at 6:30am, and a shot every Friday afternoon.  It's quite manageable, but understanding the reality that at some point I'll probably start feeling the effects is sobering and a little sad.  Still, my home church pastor (who also had his own fight with cancer) reminded me that God gives sufficient grace for each step of the journey.  I find comfort in that.

I also came across an article that J. Todd Billings (author of Rejoicing in Lament) wrote.  It's also a good reminder: Why Doesn't God Always Heal?  I like the closing of his article:

"Whether or not healing comes now, we pray for the strange work of God to be manifest on the path of illness, even if our desires for a glowing and tidy middle-class life have to be put on the cross."

God's been definitely blessing us over the past several weeks though.  I still receive encouragement after encouragement from friends, family, and coworkers.  I'm finding a lot of comfort in the Psalms and how the psalmist deals with trying times.  God is good.  May I never forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment