Sunday, March 29, 2015

Rejoicing



Yesterday my friends, Jesse and Peony, got married.  I had the true privilege of being one of Jesse's groomsmen.  If I'm being honest, I wasn't quite sure how I'd handle being in a wedding so soon after being diagnosed with cancer.  While I've seen the goodness of God in so many ways over the past several weeks, I can't say that I've been in a very celebratory mood.

Yet, over the course of the day yesterday, God reminded me of two things:
  • God is unbelievably good and faithful
  • It is God's grace to me in allowing me to rejoice with those who are rejoicing
The story of Jesse and Peony's journey up to their wedding day is truly a testimony to the goodness and faithfulness of God.  They endured great trials during their courtship and engagement period, yet they never lost faith in God.  I will cut out many of the details, but God answered so many prayers yesterday - from generously providing the two of them a place to live literally the morning before the wedding, to God miraculously softening the heart of an immediate family member who decided to come (and participate in the ceremony) at the eleventh hour.

I spent some time yesterday thinking about what a challenging several months it's been for these friends of mine, but never did God leave or forsake them.  In the midst of trying times, God surrounded them with loving brothers and sisters that would uphold them in prayer.  He sustained them with grace upon grace and strengthened their belief that He was in control.  And, at the culmination of their journey, God lavishly rewarded their faithfulness.

Jesse and Peony's path to marriage gives me such hope for my ongoing battle with cancer.  First of all, I'm reminded that we all have trials.  While my trial may feel unique, God has told us in His Word that all Christians will suffer in this lifetime.  In the midst of persecution, Paul said that he was "afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair" (2 Cor 4:8).  He was not surprised when suffering came his way, for he saw that Christ was on display in his own, human weakness (2 Cor 4:11).  The apostle Peter echoes this sentiment.  He advises believers that instead of being surprised by suffering, they should rejoice in their trying circumstances, for trials will grow the believer's faith and glorify God (1 Peter 4:12-16).

Secondly, I've seen how blessed Jesse and Peony were to be surrounded by a loving church family during difficult times.  Over the past few weeks, I've experienced that same love and affection.  I've received countless letters, texts, emails, and hugs.  I've had friends bring over meals or just come over to be with me so I wouldn't be alone.  While having cancer sometimes feels isolating, I've never been alone with so many dear Christian brothers and sisters encouraging me and ministering to me.

Finally, I've gotten to see God's perfect timing on display in the lives of Jesse and Peony.  When we had all lost hope that the family member would have a change of heart and attend the wedding, God continued to work behind the scenes and the family member decided to come the day before the wedding.  When Jesse and Peony had to deal with disappointment after disappointment in looking for housing and even had to resort to looking at apartments at 8am the day of the wedding, God was busy preparing a place beyond what they could have asked for.  I don't claim that my trial will result in healing, but getting to share in Jesse and Peony's story reminds me that God is always at work, even when it seems that nothing is happening or when prayers seem to go unanswered.  God is always good, always faithful, and always in control.

As I reflected on all of this at the wedding yesterday, I could not help but rejoice with Jesse and Peony on their special day.  I rejoiced as God was glorified at joining a man and woman together in marriage.  I rejoiced as the gospel was proclaimed in the marriage ceremony yesterday.  I rejoiced in seeing Jesse and Peony surrounded by so many people who loved and supported them.  In rejoicing with them, I was reminded that even in times of sorrow, God graciously enables me to share in others' joy.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.  (Philippians 4:4)


No comments:

Post a Comment