Friday, March 6, 2015

The Magical Internet

When I first started thinking I had myeloma a couple of weeks ago, I tried to find out as much as I could about the disease.  It's incredible the amount of knowledge at our fingertips.  The challenge, however, is interpreting the knowledge.  I had no way of discerning what information was up-to-date or what information actually applied to me and my situation.  Honestly, all that information just seemed to cause me more anxiety.

I was talking to Tim yesterday, and I was convicted at how I was approaching things.  Couldn't those hours of reading article after article on the internet have been better spent on other things?  The Bible is God's divine revelation to us.  I believe that the Bible is sufficient for anything that comes up in life, including cancer.  Scripture tells us that we have everything we need for life and godliness.  If I had spent those countless hours reading the Word, I'm sure I would have received peace instead of anxiety.

That's not to say I'm against knowledge.  On the contrary, I am trusting that God provides me with a knowledgeable doctor that has the education and context to understand all the information out there.  I'm grateful that doctors today have all that at their disposal.  Still, in spite of all their expertise in the area of cancer treatment, I'm fully aware of the futility in putting all my hope in doctors, medicine, and science.

I'm reminded of Psalm 20:7: "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."

May I continue to hope in the only One who is trustworthy and who will never fail me.

2 comments:

  1. Amen brother! Thank you for sharing what God is doing in your heart for our encouragement. Praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for starting this blog and sharing what is on your heart, Bryan. Read this passage in my devotion this morning and wanted to share it with you, I'm sure you know it well!

    "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our body. For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body. So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you."
    2 Corinthians 4:7-12 NIV

    We love you and we are praying for you.

    ReplyDelete