Tuesday, September 15, 2015

It's happening!

Hello, friends!  I know I had promised to write more, but I never seem to find the will to sit down and post.  Here are some scattered updates.  Hopefully future posts will be more organized!


  • It all begins tomorrow!  Tomorrow I go in to get my chest catheter installed.
  • I took a catheter care class yesterday.  It sounds like the dressing gets bloody for the first week.  I'm not looking forward to that; blood (including my own) makes me squeamish.  Luckily, Jenn will be the one to change the dressing.  :)
  • I'm a little worried about cleaning the catheter because if you forget to clamp it, it sounds like blood will pour out like a faucet.  Oy.
  • Speaking of the catheter, I didn't realize how bulky they are.  (See the below image).  I'm a little worried about how I'll sleep since I often sleep on my chest.  That will take some getting used to.  I'm also worried about it getting snagged and pulling on the stitches.  I guess I won't be doing anything too physically strenuous, so it shouldn't be an issue.

  • You're also not supposed to get your catheter wet (they're concerned about mold growing on it).  Surprisingly, they recommend Glad Press'n Seal wrap that you can use to cover it when you shower.  Who knew?
  • Tomorrow they'll also hook me up to a portable IV.  They need me hydrated because the chemo the following day can irritate your bladder, so they want you flushing frequently.  When I go in for chemo, they'll also give me some drugs that will make me have to urinate every ten minutes.  Oh boy.  :)
  • Tomorrow is also my last day before health precautions go into effect (no eating out, no going into public without my hepa filter mask, no leaving the windows open in the house, no gardening, eating only a low microbial diet, etc.)
  • I happened to check my work email yesterday.  Apparently my group has been re-orged, and I now have a new manager.  It should be really interesting when I get back to work!
People ask me if I'm ready for everything.  Hrm.  I feel ready, but I'm also worried that I haven't given this enough thought.  Perhaps that's the grace of God though so I don't worry.  After going through the various preparatory classes, there are lots of potential side effects from all of the drugs and various procedures.  I won't list all those now, but it would be easy to look at all those things and despair.  I'm grateful though that God is the all-knowing Creator who knows my body inside and out.  He's in control, and I have no need to worry.

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary;
    his understanding is unsearchable.
29 
He gives power to the faint,
    and to him who has no might he increases strength.
30 
Even youths shall faint and be weary,
    and young men shall fall exhausted;
31 
but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength;
    they shall mount up with wings like eagles;
they shall run and not be weary;
    they shall walk and not faint.

-Isaiah 40:28-31


2 comments:

  1. Best of luck Bryan! You'll do great. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete