Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Things are happening

Hi friends,

Sorry for the lapse in posting again, but I hope to post more regularly as there's more going on.  At a high level, I finished my 6th round of chemo, and I showed a good enough response to the treatment such that they recommended moving forward with my autologous stem cell transplant.  Praise God for Google - I started my 3-month short-term medical leave this week.

Next week, I'll be getting a chest catheter placed, will have a round of chemo, and will start injecting myself with drugs to stimulate stem cell production.  The injections will continue for a couple of weeks before the levels are high enough for a collection.  From there, I'll have hardcore chemo (Melphalan) before they give me my collected stem cells back to rescue my immune system.

Sounds pretty simple, though I'll be immuno-compromised for much of the time, so I'll be spending most of my days at home.

Anyway, I hope to post more in the days to come.  In the meantime, I'm grateful for many things:


  • I have this week to enjoy my health/freedom.
  • Jenn and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary this past Friday!
  • My coworkers gave me a care package with dinosaur stickers, a dinosaur puzzles, and various things to do while I'm home or at various appointments at Stanford.
  • Many people have offered to take me to appointments and/or stay with me since I'll need a 24/7 caretaker for much of the time.  I feel very blessed.
  • I got to hang out with a bunch of my high school friends and their kiddos.
  • I got a note from my insurance provider saying I was paying much less for my chemo drugs than I should have been.  Since it was their error though, they said they wouldn't bill me for the past six months, but that I would be paying the correct amount going forward.  The nice thing is that I should hopefully be done with the oral chemo for a while, so praise God for His provision even through the clerical error!
More soon!

-b

No comments:

Post a Comment